Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tony



Forgive me in advance if any of this brings a tear to your eye. Today would have been my brother's 51 st. birthday. As many of you know he passed away in February. This picture is one of my favorites of me and Tony banging on guitars. It was taken a long time ago. You can see his son Corbett in the foreground. He is now 19.

My daughter told me today that I should be celebrating Tony's life today and not mourning him. Easier said than done but I'm going to try my best.

I don't know of anyone who didn't like my brother. He was a soft spoken, gentle man. Reminded me of a big teddy bear. Not to say he didn't get mad every once in a while. I remember when we were kids and hid his favorite hot wheel in the bushes. He was mad then. We never did find that car. He use to bring that topic up every now and again. He was a big collector of hot wheels, models and slot cars. Now no one in the Keith family didn't collect something. When I told him I was starting a Barbie collection he told me no way was he going to go down a stinking Barbie aisle to buy me a doll. But as always I had a new doll on my birthday and on Christmas. He always got the best ones.

He wasn't one to really give advise, but he was best listener I ever knew. He had the kind of gentle way of steering you into doing the right thing without ever really letting you know that was what he was doing.

We grew up playing guitars. Even had our own band in jr. high school. His favorite artist was Neil Young. Even named his youngest son after him. I love Neil Young also but I haven't been able to listen to him since Tony died. One day I hope to be able to. I haven't played the classical guitar he gave me either. I looked at it today and it's just gathering dust. Needs new strings but Tony was the only one able to string it right. I think I'm going to take it to a music store this weekend and get it restrung. Time to me to dust it off and start playing again. I think Tony would like to hear me play again.

Tony was there for his younger sister a lot while we were growing up. He was the typical big brother who got tired of his little sister following him around, but was always there to make sure she was okay. Mom and dad really didn't let me date as I became a teen the only way I could even get out of the house was if Tony got me out. Which he did. Very first concert I went to was to see Al Stewart. Another artist we both liked. We saw him when he played at Kent State. I was 15. He did his best to keep me out of trouble (which wasn't easy)and I believe that Tony helped shape me into the person I am today. Thanks Big Brother. I sister could not have asked for a better person than you to be her brother. And by the way....I'm still just a wee bit angry at you for leaving me, but I know you had to as you were suffering. You're in much better place now. Rest well.

This old guitar ain't mine to keep, it's only mine to play for awhile.
This old guitar ain't mine to keep, it's only mine for awhile....Neil Young

Miss and Love you Tony.

4 comments:

Lorie said...

Oh, big huge hugs to you Karen! I promise it gets easier. E-mail me if you ever need to talk!

Lisa said...

I can see why that's a favorite picture I'm sure one of many cherished memories, when you are sad just hold on to that.

Kimm BT said...

Aww karen what beautifully sweet memories you have to cherish.
Hugs to you
Kimm BT

Debby said...

Karen you have some beautiful memories to hold on to and cherish. I know how close you both was.
Big Angel Hugs
Debby
http://debbysstampinheaven.blogspot.com/