Saturday, August 4, 2012

What to do with all those Zukes!

So I was reading the paper a few weeks ago. The Cleveland Plain Dealer had a article written by Joe Crea. It was all about what to do with all the Zukes in the garden when your family and friends have had enough of them. There were 50 ideas listed. Some of them really had me rolling around laughing.....here are a few of them:

Use as hand weights
kiddie golf clubs
decompose a few in sealed plastic bags as a science experiment
carve an oversize zuke with a silly face
Put 'em up on Craigslist
And my favorite one: Use as "stamps" for craft projects.

So of course I had to make a zuke stamp just for fun of course. I cut off a slice and used the bottom green side to ink up. Made a pretty star burst background


Stamp set Four Seasons Hostess set, and Tiny Tags for the greeting. Colors Daffodil Delight, Garden Green, and Rich Razzleberry. Pretty silly I know but it was fun.

Joe did have some recipes for the zukes along with the funny ideas. Here are a few of those just in case you have a ton of zucchinis in your garden.

Freeze slices or cubes...Use within three months
coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and roast. (I put them in foil packs and throw them on the grill)
Shred into hot chicken broth for a quick pick me up
Ratotouille! (loved that movie by the way)
Include thin slices among pizza toppings
let shreds dissolve in simmering spaghetti sauce (I do this and the family hasn't got a clue!)
Fold squeezed shreds into pancake batter (going to try this one)
Mix chunks into mac and cheese then bake
and the ever popular and a fav of mine Zucchini Bread! Course it is way to hot to be making bread now, but I have bags of zucchini i the freezer for the cooler weather.

Weigh in - lost 1.2 


Stamping trails
Karen 



1 comment:

Cherie said...

Love your Z card! How creative! I'm ready t take an axe to my hubby's Z patch! Google Z Tots for a super good recipe! Really yummy! TFS!