Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Wooly Bear


I found a wooly bear in the garage last week. Isn't he just too cute?
They curl up into a ball when you pick them up, but soon they will unroll. 


Now they say you can predict how cold it will be in the winter by how wide or thin the lighter brown section in the center is.
This little one was pretty furry and has hair that is sticky as Velcro. He had all kinds of lint and stuff stuck to him. I let him go about his way outside. 

Here is a link if you want to know more about the "bears". They are so popular here that they even have a Wooly Bear Festival.

Stamping trails
Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen
Not sure when you posted this, but just saw and wanted to comment. Wooly bears don't have sticky spines. From what I can see, this is quite possibly spider web silk. It may have gotten stuck in one for a while, old (most likely) or new silk. I don't know of any spider that would eat one, with maybe the exception of some tarantulas. I'm in the northeast and we have none, except for those I keep, but I know none of mine would eat one! In the future if you ever see another one, or any insect that has webbing on it, you can very gently and carefully remove it. I'll often find dragonflies stuck in silk. If it's going to be a spider's meal, I leave it, but just stuck I will do my best. It is very tricky work and sometimes my help or how tangled they are it's not worth the damage. Then I step on it, sounds cruel, but is the most humane end for any insect. Never believe that freezing is best. Ok, I'm off topic 😁 Well leave that for another time.
bjc