Sunday, February 2, 2014

Gingerbread



Well the gingerbread came out really good. I didn't have the buttermilk as the recipe called for so 
I used 1% milk instead as that is what I had on hand. 

This went really good with my ginger snappish tea. 

Good-for-You Gingerbread

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 egg white lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup light molasses

Heat oven to 350. Spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray
Mix the flours, brown sugar, spices, and baking powder/soda
In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients 
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with hand mixer until combined. 
Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. 
Cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with powder sugar before serving warm. 
 
While I thought this was good warm I liked it better at room temperature. 

Skip got my car fixed. The battery was weak so he bought a new one for it. 
I'm hoping that we are finished with the Polar Vortex stuff. Twice in one year is enough for me. 
 
Happy that February has arrived and I'm wondering about the shadow of the groundhog. 
I'm sure it will be 6 more weeks of Winter. I never really understood the groundhog business anyway.
Living in the Northeast we know that in February at the very least we always have 6 more weeks of Winter. 
Sometimes a little more. 
I think I'm a little smarter than a groundhog! LOL 
So go ahead groundhog and predict your worst!
 

Stamping trails
Karen


1 comment:

littlebitoftoto said...

Karen,love your blog...thanks for sharing the gingerbread recipe..when you do not have buttermilk, add a little vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a minute...great substitute for buttermilk